An early civilization of Aetas and Kalagans from the southern part of Mindanao settled in an area abundant with upland and lowland resources, promising a bright future for its residents. As early as then, the place was known as a Taboan, a major trading place in the South; thus, giving birth to a town named Panabo. From a mere barangay of Magugpo, which is now known as Tagum City, Panabo flourished into a municipality last July 19, 1949 through Presidential Proclamation No. 236 of the late President Manuel L. Quezon. Fifty two years later, with an overwhelming positive response from the residents, Panabo metamorphosed into a city through Republic Act 9015 last March 31, 2001.